- Use a wide tooth comb to detangle the wig from ends to roots very gently so you don’t lose any hair out of the roots.
- Fill a bowl of cool water with a cap full of shampoo running through.
- Turn the wig inside out, this way longer wigs don’t get matted and swished about as much.
- Gently soak the wig for 5 – 10 minutes or according to the product instructions you are using.
- Leave there you don’t need to do any vigorous washing let the products do the work.
- Rinse thoroughly using a shower head or fresh running water.
- If you are using conditioner to leave in, spray in and leave to dry naturally.
- If you are using a wash out conditioner just pop a capful through a bowl of fresh cool water and leave to soak for 5- 7 mins or follow product instructions. Then rinse again as before.
- You can leave the wig on a towel until the worst is out especially if it is longer but please make sure you don’t rub the construction just a simple pat will do. If too rough drying the roots will come loose.
- Turn the wig back the right way and put it on a wig wash stand which will give air flow running through.
- If you put it on a polystyrene block to dry it will go damp and mouldy if done repeatedly because there is no air flow. Stick with the proper wash stand and it will dry quicker too.
- Using a wide tooth comb gently from ends to roots comb through and leave overnight to dry naturally.
- The style will come back without too much styling and obviously no heat applied.
GUIDE FOR HEATABLE FIBRE
I would treat it as a fibre/synthetic wig and the less heat you apply the longer it will last. Whatever the style it is in, it should keep pretty well without more styling. If your wig is straight and you have curled it you will have to repeat at some point. It all varies depending on the wig.
GUIDE FOR REAL HAIR
My advice is to treat the same as a fibre/synthetic wig in the washing stage but at the end when it comes to drying you have the option to put on a block and dry with a hairdryer and style with heat.
If you need to leave overnight and can pop it on a wig wash stand to get the airflow through and the base dried properly before styling that’s good too.